Dogg's Droppings

Sunday, August 27, 2006

The Primetime Emmy Awards

It's a shame I did not start writing here two hours ago, when the show started. I will try not to yammer on about the three hour tape delay for those of us on the west coast. You'd think it just might matter that the freaking show is being televised from Los Angeles... but nooooo.

Obligatory comment about the opening skit... the one on the plane. Should NBC really have cancelled the bit. Perhaps. It is tragic that 49 people lost their lives because some stupid pilot didn't know what runway he was on. Or perhaps the flight controllers are to blame, or the airport itself. That will undoubtedly be sorted out in the courts. But I submit that at least that many people lose their lives every single day, for equally stupid reasons, and we hear nada about them.

Moments I remember: Steven Colbert whining about losing to Barry Manilow. Farrah Fawcett looking positively bored during the tribute to Aaron Spelling. Seems to me she still has a substance problem, or something. Dick Clark, speaking a more clearly than he did at the New Years Eve show 9 months ago. The tribute to American Bandstand was excellent, and it's nice the Academy chose to honor him while he is still with us.

Hugh Laurie comes out as a presenter, and I'm all excited to hear his British accent, and he speaks French.. arrrrgh. But it was a funny bit.

Enjoyed the Tivo bit, as well as having one bunch of clips shown on audience member's PDA's, Smartphones, whatever. Love the Newhart gag. As of this writing, I do not know how it will end. Conan even managed to make me laugh when he introduced the accountants. Kareem Abdul Jabbar should always have such regular work.

Someone PLEASE tell Simon Cowell where the buttons are on his shirt. What a self-absorbed idiot. Show some respect for the forum you are in, huh? I would have preferred a T-shirt, buddy.

Apparently 24 is going to win for Best Drama. They got that right.

Oh and NBC? Your incessant promos have not enticed me to watch any of your new shows. I especially enjoyed Conan's song and dance number about how far in the toilet the NBC network is.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home