Dogg's Droppings

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Doo Wop


Was nosing around the TV listings this evening, and stumbled across a wonderful show on the PBS station: American Soundtrack: Doo Wop's Best. I only caught the last half hour or so, but it's going to repeat shortly. Thank god for TIVO.

Little Anthony and the Imperials can still bring it. I always tend to judge music acts by how well they can duplicate their sound of 30, 40, 50 years ago. Most of them can't. My favorite singer, Neil Diamond, unfortunately, cannot approach his sound of the 60's, but if it's a choice of the way he sounds now, or nothing at all, I will happily take what we get today.

Little Anthony and the Imperials, all decked out in peach colored suits, darn near matched the way their records sound. Kathy Young and the Innocents (she has to be pushing 60), were fantastic. She looked fabulous too.

I will update further when I see the rest of the show. Meanwhile, I have about 6000 more titles to list on my website: www.oldies45s.com. Go have a look.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home